Higher Education in Japan

Talk with your teacher if you’re worried about future academic plans. There are three routes for going on to higher education.

Admission Exam Requirements

• Have completed 12 years of school education
• Have taken the Examination for Japanese University Admission for International Students
(Most universities. Some universities also accept students who have taken the Japanese Language Proficiency Test.)
* Most universities specializing in humanities will require a Japanese exam and a general studies exam.
* National/public universities and some other universities will also require English proficiency certification such as TOEFL or TOEIC.
Vocational College
• Have completed 12 years of school education
• Have taken the Examination for Japanese University Admission for International Students or Japanese Language Proficiency Test

* Applicants with over 200 points in the EJU for Japanese or level N2 or higher in the JLPT will often be exempted from admission exams and/or school fees.
Graduate School
• Have completed 16 years of education
* English proficiency certification required depending on graduate course (TOEFL, TOEIC, IELTS, etc.)
* Japanese must be JLPT N1 level


Distribution of guides (detailing application conditions and documents to submit, etc.) differs between universities, but will typically start in late May or early June at the earliest. The documents to submit include items to prepare in Japan and items to prepare in your home country.

Documents to prepare in your home country

A graduation certificate (or diploma if your school does not issue certificates), transcript, letter of recommendation, etc.
Transcripts must detail your grades for each individual year. You may be required to supply translated versions of your documents if they were not created in Japanese.

Documents to prepare in Japan

「A certificate of grades and attendance from TCJ, health certificate, personal statement, letter of recommendation, etc.
It will take us approximately one week to prepare your certificate of grades and attendance. Documents should be recent as of up to three months before the exam date, and usually anything older will not be accepted. Your teacher will check your personal statement and help to edit it.

* Most national/public universities and some prestigious universities will also require submission of English test scores, e.g. TOEFL or TOEIC.

The Examination for Japanese University Admission for International Students (EJU)

Exam subjects of the EJU

Liberal arts: Japanese as a foreign language (400 pts.), Japan and the World (200 pts.), Mathematics course 1 (200 pts.)

Science: Japanese as a foreign language (400 pts.), Science (200 pts.), Mathematics course 2 (200 pts.)

* The Japanese as a foreign language unit consists of listening comprehension, listening-reading comprehension, and reading comprehension sections (total 400 pts.) and a writing section (total 50 pts.).
* The science unit requires a choice of two subjects out of physics, chemistry, and biology.

Details on the EJU

Independent Administrative Institution Japan Student Services Organization (JASSO)

* TCJ will always instruct its students considering advancement to university to also take exams in humanities or sciences in addition to Japanese. This is because requirements differ between universities. Additionally, students looking to get into the top private universities or national/public universities that specialize in humanities will still need to take a mathematics examination. Many universities require at least 200 points in Japanese as a foreign language, and some universities will also have a minimum score for the Japan and the World unit as well. Some national/public universities will also look for a total of 250 points or higher in the mathematics and Japan and the World units combined.

Students who have taken the EJU twice can use the higher-scoring exam results. (Note: If the admission exam takes place before December, you need to take the EJU in June (or in November the year prior) as an application requirement. Some universities such as Meiji, Hosei, and Rikkyo accept students based only documents submitted, but normally, you will need to sit a university’s particular exam and attend an interview.

* There is no English unit in the EJU, but some universities will require English for the exam, or request English test scores for TOEFL, TOEIC, etc.